Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: End of SiP?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Lucien's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2000
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    There are some differences between SiP and the long running serial superhero title. Even if the title does run into high numbers 1)I don't see Terry passing the reigns of the story to someone else who will change everything that has gone before and write their own story. 2)The characters (sp) do
    grow and change so it's really not just the same story over and over again. 3)There is a wealth of other characters that could take center stage if the need arises.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Darth Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2000
    Posts
    400
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The problem is that the same cycles keep repeating, and if they keep on doing just that, it will be no different than a convouluted X-Men plot. I like the fact that our beloved characters are very much like real people I have known(and been...) but the point where my disbelief can no longer be suspended is in sight-However, Terry said SiP was all going to change soon, so I'm happy to wait and see.

    Darth

  3. #13
    Inactive Member fallingstarre's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13th, 2001
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="comic sans ms, jester, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darth Fett:
    The problem is that the same cycles keep repeating, and if they keep on doing just that, it will be no different than a convouluted X-Men plot.

    Darth
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    It's not so much repeating as, I think, spiraling. The turns and confrontations though following the same pattern keep getting larger, deeper, more heated, more violent, with more reprecussions to all involved (leading inevitably to that ten year hiatus). The next set of swings on the pendulum between francine and katchoo together and apart should look to be really intense (as will the explosion that seperates them).

    ------------------
    A little learning is a dangerous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again. -Alexander Pope

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Thrasymachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2001
    Posts
    232
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "War's over, man. Terry dropped the big one." frown
    10 days until it hits.
    Well, Darth Fett, Junior Jumbo, and the rest of you who were griping that S.I.P. was moving too slowly, I hope you're happy now. Terry once told me to read a phone book until I calmed down. I don't think one would be enough. I remember what Mark Steyn once wrote: "Sometimes it's easier to close a book without reading the next page. ... Until you read that last page, watch that last scene, anything is possible. Nothing is fixed until the very end. So until that last page is turned David's still alive for me. Until that last page I know that everything will turn out to be all right. So if I stop reading SIP now everything will be OK."
    Yep. That'll work.

    ------------------
    Peregrinator in paradiso.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Darth Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 20th, 2000
    Posts
    400
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Actually, yes, I am.

    Another 4 or 5 years of push-pull-run-repeat would have killed any enthusiaism I had for the book. Knowing that Terry is shaking the book up give me a new prespective-cause I think up to now was just aboot the right amout of lulling me into a cycle with the story that a change will have maximum effect. Joe Straczynski does that in his writing as well. Can't wait....2 more weeks....

    I understand what you are saying Thras, but if you never read the last page, well, you never truly make the connection to the author and his ideas. While 'anything' is possible, you miss what the author was trying to give you. Not judging, just stating my own case...

    ------------------
    'There can be sex without love, love without sex, and situations so intermixed that nobody can sort out which is which.'
    -Lazarus Long, 'Time Enough for Love'-Robert Heinlein

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Oz's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 1999
    Posts
    338
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    word to darth. word.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •